Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The disk, strawberries, and Twin Brooks

I bought a horsedrawn disk from a neighbor and made some repairs to it, since it hadn't been used in thirty years.
It is eight foot and the perfect size for just two horses.
The tongue was the biggest replacement, but some work was done to free up pivot points that were seized up and I retrofitted a seat.
I was imagining driving my team on it, and that motivated me along the way.
After some final adjustments, it was ready to put to the test.
In the garden our new strawberries that we planted this spring have begun to produce good.
We are excited for a big crop next year and strawberry jam maybe.
Paul and I went to the twin brooks threshing bee and I used my new disk behind Fanny and Amy.
I also used a walking plow which I really like doing.
I feel better by at least carrying my own weight.
These girls pull nice and steady all day!
Fanny is the two year old daughter of Amy, but they pulled this 18 inch plow with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment