Sunday, August 22, 2010

Twin Brooks Threshing

My first try at using the walking plow. It looks simple but is actually a bit complicated until you get everything down and the horses need to walk down the furrow. After a couple rounds I felt like I had been plowing all of my life. It was Great!!!

The schoolhouse was very interesting to us as Rebecca is a teacher and likes the older traditional schools and school systems. We would like to homeschool our children some day and maybe have a room like this for school time.



Chalk boards are getting to be very scarce now days but are preferred by us.


I took in all of the information on cutting lumber. With the prices these days so high, it would be very beneficial to cut some of our own lumber. These older saw mills work well but are quite dangerous. It is a good thing to be able to see and talk to someone who has some experience as the people doing it that day did.




2 comments:

  1. Dad says it is very nice. It is nice you could visit with older people and gain their knowledge.
    Brings back old memories. My wife and I used to be young like you two and made some wonderful memories just like you two do.
    Grandpa Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to say that I taught Andrew to butcher chickens. He helped with butchering from the time he could walk. His first job was picking up the heads, or pushing the wheelbarrow and then he worked his way up. Andrew and his siblings did not always appreciate butchering as we did many, many chickens each year. Our busiest year we did 1000. We did 120 a day. Those were the days. We had an assembly line made up of family. We were blessed.

    ReplyDelete