Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pipe Weld Repair

Everyday is something different as far as work in the engine room. Yesterday upon assuming the watch I did a round(visual inspect all components of the engine room, tank levels, etc.) Then I was told by the 1st engineer to look at the limit switches on the port lifeboat davit, as he was told they weren't working. After fixing them, I found a metal part on the davit which needed replacing. It was so thin from rusting over the years, but painted over now, it wasn't heavy enough to do the job anymore. I don't have a picture of it, but it was a very intricate piece to cut out with the torch and machine part and weld two different size pieces of rod too.


After a few other smaller jobs and supper, we decided to fix a sea water pipe that had been leaking. We found it to be to bad for immediate repair, so we moved in a replacement pipe that had failed years ago and was never repaired, but replaced. So I welded on this replacement pipe in order to fill the small existing hole, but to strengthen and add thickness to the areas where water flow causes great erosion.





After many beads, I got a little sloppy, but the first few layers were perfect. We may also put a ceramic compound over the inside of the pipe to further resist errosion.


I wanted another pic of my Qmed Ben for the blog, so this is the quick pose we came up with in the hall way while I was giving him my wireless internet device to use for the night. He is a very good worker. He is very intelligent with mechanics and a hard worker, the best combination possible. We get along very well and enjoy our breaks with conversation and the occasional chess game. Well that is all for now. Andrew

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Chess! I never knew Andrew knew how to play chess. I don't even know how to play. Proud of you, Andrew! Love the pictures!
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete