Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Telling Time

Last week we made it our official "telling time" week. 2nd graders were working hard on telling time to the hour. There are 6 in this class, which makes up about one third of our school....anyways, we had projects that we did all week long relating to clocks and time. The students loved it! We made a clock book-- each page had a different time on it. The students had to write what time it was and then finish the sentence in the book "It is time to ________________" I made this book the first time when I was student teaching at a colony.

One of the second graders working hard on their book. I think she was drawing for 6:00 in the evening- time to go to church.








We did an "I have, who has" game with telling time to the hour. One person starts off with the I have _____ and who has ______" and then it continues with the person that has that corresponding time.





My second graders were all over this game. We played it all week long! I had the older students (4th-8th) graders play a similar game of "I have who has" in which it was time to the minute. The 4th graders had been learning about time to the minute, so it corresponded great!



We did a cutting out matching game. Students had to cut the clocks out and the times and then glue the correct time under the correct clock. The finished clocks were put on a white piece of paper. Kids loved it and it was a good assessment to know who got the concept!



We made our own paper plate clocks. Then I read the book "The Grouchy Ladybug" by Eric Carl. As the book goes along, each page has a time that the students can show on their clock.







Another activity was an "I Spy" game around the school. I hung 12 clocks with time to the hour and time to the half hour. Each clock had a letter on it and students took their "I Spy" sheet around and had to find the clocks and write the time of it by the corresponding letter on their sheet.



One activity that we did with the whole school was acting out times. We put the clock numbers on paper and then taped them to the floor. Then the other teacher and I would say a time and the students would use their body to illustrate it. For the older kids we did time to the minute. 2nd graders got time to the half hour to review what we were working on, and our 1st graders were given time to the hour. The whole school thought it was something else to get to lay down and actually be allowed to do that in school!


6:00




5:55


I found a little book on the internet about telling time. It goes through time to the hour, time to the half hour and finding the hour before and after a given time. I did this with the second graders and they enjoyed it. They like having their own booklets and getting to make and then take them home.



No comments:

Post a Comment